submit to reddit Creative Commons License
Valid XHTML 1.1 Valid CSS!

The Body

This is my work log of how work with the body progressed:

When doing this, do not forget to think about the neck too. There are many things to keep in mind, one example is how the distance of the neck effects the location of the bridge. I made both the body and the neck at the same time.

Before you commence with this you will need to choose what dimensions you want for your neck, you should also consider if you want to use a truss rod or not. I decided the dimensions during the work, but I do not recommend it.

1st of January:
I have decided to test two different oils, I dropped them both into a separate "bowl" with oil.

Here are some pictures:

The glued paper have dried now, here is a picture. I will try to route it in a couple of days.

I will add the result of the oiling in a couple of days.

4th of January:
Today I have driller the hole to the control cavity, I have also placed an order on four potentiometers. Other than this I have also started to route the pickguard template...

I am thinking of routing the hole cavity deeper when I get the pots, as I now have a couple of longer cutters.

I began the drilling by marking the spot right between the two nearest potentiometers, then I routed down a bit. After this I began with drilling a 4mm hole, which I gradually increased to 8mm; this will be more than enough space for all of the cables. The last step were that I used a round file to improve the size even further.

Here are the pictures:

I have got two choices on how to get the cables to the right place later, I can either route a chanal in the body itself or in the pickguard.

7th of January:
Today I received the four pots, therefore I have routed the cavity deeper so that the potentiometers fit perfectly. You may see some pictures below.


The knobs that I bought earlier fits perfectly on the pots. The next step is to drill the new knobs so that they can be placed on the potentiometers.

Back - Next